Need to purchase pallets for your new business? Not sure which type to choose? This is a common occurrence for many business owners, and it can be confusing to decide which ones would best suit your needs. For those who are new to pallet types, the following is a guide to which pallet types may be best suited for your transport and business needs.
Types of Pallets
Metal pallets are generally made from aluminium and steel, and are used for the transportation of heavy goods, including at-sea storage, air freight, and outdoor long-term storage. Over the years, the use of aluminium pallets has become increasingly popular with many industries. This is because they provide higher-strength properties than other form of pallet types. Catering businesses and restaurants are also using metal pallets because they are easy to keep sanitary.
Advantages of Metal Pallets
- Extremely durable.
- Ideal for chemical and food industries because they’re easily cleaned.
- Recyclable, time and time again.
- Don’t cause splinters like wooden pallets do.
- Mostly free of pests and bugs.
- Stronger than plastic and wooden pallets.
- Don’t decay, and they are highly weather-resistant.
Disadvantages of Metal Pallets
- May cost more in transportation.
- Heavier compared to other pallets.
Lightweight Plywood Pallets
Plywood pallets are designed for holding light- to medium-weight products. They offer a durable and strong packaging solution for many industries.
Advantages of Plywood Pallets
- Ideal for layer stacking and rack stocking.
- Plywood features a clean smooth surface area.
- Have minimal absorption of moisture.
- Perfect for transportation and shipping due to their lightweight, strong design.
Disadvantages of Plywood Pallets
- Tends to be more difficult to store in racking systems.
- If left outside, can suffer water damage.
- Moving between warehouses can be limited as many warehouses don’t store these pallet types.
- Durable and strong in design.
- Ideal for rack storing.
- Reliable load carriers.
- Tend to be less expensive than metal-based pallet materials.
- Feature high friction compared to metal and plastic pallets.
- Easy to construct in a short amount of time.
- Can be recycled with paper and mulch.
- Can be easily fixed with recycled materials.
- Easily resold.
- Easy to repair, as broken boards can be replaced.
Disadvantages of Wooden Pallets
- Tend to be more susceptible to protruding nails, splinters, shrinking, and warping, which can lead to continual reordering.
- If they become wet, they can be very difficult to clean. The wetness can also cause fungi and bacteria to grow.
- More costly for air freight due to their heavy-weight design
Presswood pallets are constructed with high pressure and high temperature, creating a solid piece from fibers of dried wood.
Advantages of Presswood Pallets
- Easy to handle.
- Low moisture content.
- Can be effectively stacked on top of each other.
- Easily recyclable.
- Provide great strength, though lightweight.
Disadvantages of Presswood Pallets
- Rack storing can be difficult.
- If left outside they can succumb to water damage.
- Many warehouses store these pallets, so movement between warehouses tends to be limited.