Looking to buy a shipping container? Thinking about spending the money on a second hand container? This is one of the major investments that many industries consider when shipping large items around the world. Second hand shipping containers are great options over new expensive ones. For those who are looking into purchasing second hand shipping containers, the following are some tips and information about shipping containers you can use to make a more informed decision.
Tips to Buying Second Hand Shipping Containers
To make sure you get a great deal on a second hand shipping container, here are some things you need to look out for.
- Make sure the container is structurally sound and is watertight. When standing inside with the doors closed, you shouldn’t see any daylight streaming in through the sides or ceiling.
- Make sure you can install a lock box for security.
- Check to see whether all the door hinges work well, and swing freely when opening and closing the door.
- Check to see if any wooden doors are intact.
- Check the surface area of the shipping container for rust, scuffs, scratches, dents, or any non-transferable markings which may cause problems with the integrity of the shipping container.
- Ask your seller how old the shipping container is or when they purchased it from another seller.
- Check for odors. An odor may indicate the use of harmful chemicals at one point and means they have been used many times before.
By doing a checklist on your second hand shipping container, you can ensure that your container will last another 10-25 years.
Tips to Maintaining Your Second Hand Shipping Container
Shipping containers are used to ship a variety of goods across the world. Throughout their life they are loaded and unloaded onto ships and then trucks, by large cranes, and then reused again going back in the other direction. Due to their design, shipping containers are made to handle very harsh marine environments. Constructed from stainless steel, they can also handle the demands of shipping long distances. Damage can occur, and this can jeopardize the lifespan of the container. Proper servicing of the container can help to ensure long life. The following are some maintenance tips you can use to help keep your shipping container in the best order possible.
- Avoid overloading the shipping container to help prevent buckling its structural integrity.
- Use appropriate loading methods to prevent any inside damage of the container.
- Keep the shipping container in proper technical condition by keeping it well maintained.
- Use the best international practices when it comes to loading the containers.
Second Hand Refrigerated Container Buying Guide
If you’re a business which sells food-based goods overseas, it’s important to make sure your second hand refrigerated shipping container is working well to handle the transport without spoiling your goods. Some things to look for include:
- Check that the refrigeration unit is properly functioning and cooling to the optimal temperature needed before purchasing.
- Check the temperature gauge to make sure it’s working accordingly to the temperature it’s set at.
- Ask whether they’ve had problems in the past with the refrigeration unit breaking down.
- Ensure there aren’t any holes in the container by closing yourself inside to search for any daylight that may be streaming into the container.
Advantages of Shipping Containers
There are many advantages of using second hand shipping containers. These advantages include:
- Ability to ship large amounts of goods across many parts of the world.
- A high strength design which can handle vigorous wear and tear.
- Minimal risk of damage to goods which are being transported.
- Reduces packaging expenses.
Disadvantages of Shipping Containers
Although there are many advantages, there are also many disadvantages of shipping containers that you should know about before committing fully. These include:
- Tend to be more expensive than your average transportation solutions.
- More expensive to fix when damages occur.
- Rely on heavy machinery to help transport, load, and unload more so than normal storage units.
- Second hand shipping containers may require additional maintenance which can cost more in the long run.
When purchasing a second hand shipping container, it’s important to buy the right one. It’s also important to keep it maintained and in optimal working condition to ensure safety of the goods being transported nationally and internationally. Looking into the advantages and disadvantages of shipping containers can really help you make the right decision. Never make your decision lightly, as it will affect you in the future. So, did you decide to purchase a second hand shipping container for your company’s shipping needs?